View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 21, 2013, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpumpire View Post
The first part of what you said is not correct. It would mean that any runner could be tagged out while standing on a base if the runner ahead of him hasn't touched the next base or been tagged out?
I agree Lawrie started from first so technically he is R1.

This was not a force play so Reyes was legally entitled to 3B (7.01 A runner acquires the right to an unoccupied base when he touches it before he is out. He is then entitled to it until he is put out, or forced to vacate it for another runner legally entitled to that base.) not Lawrie.

7.03 (a) Two runners may not occupy a base, but if, while the ball is alive, two runners are touching a base, the following runner shall be out when tagged and the preceding runner is entitled to the base, unless Rule 7.03(b) applies.

Now Lawrie and Reyes were not on the bag at the same time and Lawrie was not legally entitled to be there because Reyes was not yet "put out, or forced to vacate it for another runner legally entitled to that base". Had the fielder tagged Reyes first then Lawrie, Lawrie would have been safe.

Now either I did a bad job of explaining myself or I am totally reading something different than what the rules say and I am certainly open for correction.

Last edited by jicecone; Sat Sep 21, 2013 at 12:49pm.