View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 20, 2013, 07:53am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
You seem to be missing that in Ohio, the referees have a legal obligation regarding apparent concussions. We don't diagnosis in the technical sense of the word, but we basically required to do so by law in practical terms and that assessment is legally superior to an actual diagnosis by a medical professional. Once the referees has identified an apparent sign of a concussion, it is illegal, not against the rules but actually against the law, for the player to return that day at all and he may not return after that day without being cleared by a doctor.

I understand the impulse for coaches to say, "We have actual medical professionals. Please don't look at my injured players." However, a referee in Ohio turning a blind eye to apparent symptoms of a concussion is going to land in real legal trouble given the new law.
On top of this, my concern has more to do with a situation where we just don't recognize any signs, and the player ends up in a bad state because he got hit after a concussion occurred. I know the law offers immunity if you're doing your job, but I don't think that'll be enough: at some point.