View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 18, 2013, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
So ... given the situation you describe - and assuming you think some violation of this rule occurred --- exactly when do you penalize?

A18 QB's plays 1-3 of a series, then the other A18 comes on and punts. Penalty then? I suspect you're saying no. It's clear QB and punter are different positions.

Later, A18 QB's plays 1-3 of a series, then stays on the field for 4th down as several other substitutions occur, and then lines up a bit deeper but plays ... quarterback, like he did the rest of the game ... and throws a pass. Penalize then? Sounds like that's when you want the penalty to occur - but how is a QB staying on the field to play QB a violation of this rule?

Yes - the entire fault in all this is the poorly worded rule and the lack of definition or even caseplay to go by. But if the rule was worded correctly, I still don't see a foul here (perhaps if the rule was worded differently, the foul would actually be when the punter came out the first time and punted.)
I'll remind you that I am not a football referee.

The prohibition on offense should be on eligible receivers wearing identical numbers during the game. I believe that would solve this problem (and the foul would be when the punter took the field in this revised instance).

Now, in this case I would stipulate the following assumptions:
1. The intent of the rule is to prevent misidentification between players.
2. Punter is a position which is occupied by the player who usually punts the ball in a scrimmage-kick formation.
3. Quarterback is a position which is occupied by the player who typically receives the snap in a non-scrimmage-kick formation.

If we take these stipulations as true (and you may well not), the rule is violated when #16-QB takes the position of punter.

In reality, you've convinced me this rule is all together unenforcable and needs completely rewritten.