View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 17, 2013, 12:11pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
Rogers talked about this rule at a clinic I attended and IIRC the primary purpose of the rule was to not use multiple players with the same number in a deceptive manner. They intentionally left the wording somewhat vague so it didn't paint us into a corner for enforcement. It's mostly meant for key skill positions. They aren't worried about a LG at number 65 and later bringing in another #65 to play LT (not at the same time).
Were you at Honig's clinic this spring? I was there also... if we both end up there next year we should get together for a beer or two.

Quote:
I'm thinking it's OK to have #18 as a QB and #18 as a punter, but if you bring in the QB version as the punter and then run a fake, you may have a problem.
But a punter isn't a punter until he actually punts the ball. Prior to that, he's just a runner. Likewise, the quarterback is just a runner until he actually throws a pass.

Quote:
If you feel a team is using different players with the same number in a deceptive manner, then invoke this rule. Otherwise don't worry about it.
Agreed.