View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 16, 2013, 10:45am
Lighten up, Francis.

I worked a high school match last week in which the current JV head coach (formerly the Varsity head coach) kept score and had NO idea what she was doing. It seemed to be going fine, with only a couple minor delays (10-15 seconds), until. . .

22-10 in the first set the R2 signals me to hold off on the serve. He bends over to discuss the scoresheet with the scorer. After what seemed like 15 minutes (it was probably closer to 4), he comes over to me to tell me that she had messed up some of the substitutions and now the team on the floor didn't match the scoresheet.

I knew that the team on the floor was correct and in the correct rotation, because they'd only subbed twice in the set. I told him that and he went back to try to figure out what was wrong. He then tried to bring players off the bench to match the sheet. The team tried to tell him that the players weren't supposed to be on the court. After another lengthy period of time, I called him over and said, "I don't care what you have to do, just make the sheet match the team on the floor and let's finish this set".

Which is what we did. The rest of the match (5 sets, of course) was rocky, but he paid much closer attention to the scorer for the rest of the match, so delays were more frequent than they should have been, but thankfully short after that.