View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 16, 2013, 07:22am
Chain of Fools

Yes you do.

In varsity action, I've done it once. Box man had a nasty habit of standing perpendicular to the sideline between each new series. The field is at an older stadium so the team boxes are narrower than most. This was merely irritating.
Then there was the on and off commentary that I made a mental note of. Finally, just before halftime, the visiting team forces a turnover and he loudly protested that a personal foul should have been called.

As soon as the clock hit 0:00, I notified him that his services would not be needed for the second half. I then notified the AD on the way to the dressing room that we would need another box man.

JV: home team coach sends me 4 varsity players who'd rather be forced to sit with their parents than work chains. Box "man" keeps flirting with a cheerleader the whole first half to the detriment of his duties. At half I send word to the HC I wouldn't be needing # so & so back. Next night I have the varsity game and guess which WR lines up on my side? Yup, # whatever. During a dead ball I smile and say "didn't I fire you last night, sure hope you got her number".
The kid never lined up on my side the rest of the night. I think I scared him off.

Middle school game: some parents get drafted to round out the chain crew that had some vacancies. We have the kickoff and begin the first series. I get the chains pulled back but notice the box man is literally glued to my backside. He says "you're in my way". I said "I'm right where I'm supposed to be, you need to be back there with the rest of those guys." "No, really, you're in my way."

Whistle, time out signal, "OK, that's it, you're gone." Back stake man: "You can't talk like that to him." "Ok, you're gone too." I borrowed the county Sheriff and his son in law to finish out the half.

My primary trainer once tossed a guy because he was so inebriated he was using the stake for support.