Thread: IHC on offense?
View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 13, 2013, 11:34am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I disagree, quite a bit actually. The linesman running with the runner needs to be there with or ahead of the runner. (Signalling a TD while running looks absurd), and should be looking at the trailing action from in FRONT (i.e. with the runner). The opposite linesman can and should trail the action to pick up what you're calling no-man's land. I do agree that R could be far behind the play, especially if there's no U, as he should not pass players to pick up the trail of the play --- he could just as easily miss transgressions behind him were he to do so.
In a 3-man or 4-man crew, I agree. There's nobody on the goal line. The wing has to try to get there.

In 5-man, I'd rather the wing trail the runner unless the pylon's threatened. The BJ has the goal line.

In 6-man and 7-man, there's a deep wing on the pylon already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I disagree, quite a bit actually. The linesman running with the runner needs to be there with or ahead of the runner. (Signalling a TD while running looks absurd), and should be looking at the trailing action from in FRONT (i.e. with the runner). The opposite linesman can and should trail the action to pick up what you're calling no-man's land. I do agree that R could be far behind the play, especially if there's no U, as he should not pass players to pick up the trail of the play --- he could just as easily miss transgressions behind him were he to do so.
I agree with the R hanging back. I won't pass opposing players if I'm the R. If there's just one player from one team, I'll pass him, but remember that he's there.