Thread: IHC on offense?
View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 13, 2013, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
Many wing officials accept the challenge to cross the goal line WITH the runner, no matter how long the run. However, in a 3 or 4 man configuration there's often nobody following the wing official watching what's going on behind the runner.

On a long run, the Referee and Umpire can be delayed by action around the original scrimmage line, so once the runner appears in the clear, the wing official slows down to observe the trailing action, but often that area 15 yards, or more behind the runner and a long way from the original scrimmage line is likely an expanding "no man's land" to some extent, in 3 or 4 man coverage.

The solution, of course, is adding a 4th, 5th or 6th man, which is a game management decision.
I disagree, quite a bit actually. The linesman running with the runner needs to be there with or ahead of the runner. (Signalling a TD while running looks absurd), and should be looking at the trailing action from in FRONT (i.e. with the runner). The opposite linesman can and should trail the action to pick up what you're calling no-man's land. I do agree that R could be far behind the play, especially if there's no U, as he should not pass players to pick up the trail of the play --- he could just as easily miss transgressions behind him were he to do so.

West Houston Mike