View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 10, 2013, 11:55am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump View Post
If the drafters of the various rule interpretations wanted "fielder running after a runner..." to be a "play" they would have expressly listed it; they did not in any OBR rule interpretation manual that I have ever seen. In fact, my class notes from umpire school (yes I've kept them for 16 years) specifically read that a fielder chasing after a runner is NOT a play.
Interesting, since that directly conflicts with MLBUM's definition of play where it says in part, "...a legitimate effort by a defensive player who has possession of the ball to actually retire a runner." Why would a fielder chase a runner? Isn't it an attempt to retire him by eventually placing a tag on him? If that's not a "legitimate effort", I don't know what is.

Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of the MLBUM with me, but in the section where it defines plays and attempted plays, it lists examples that are considered plays, and those that are not plays. I know that fakes and feints to throw the ball are not plays. Do the "not play" examples also include chasing a runner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump View Post
Frankly, have you seen the play where Albert Belle knocked down Mr. Vina in the 1990's (youtube "Albert Belle collision" if you have not)? Mr. Vina (the F4), who had possession of the ball, ran (several steps) right in front of Albert Belle (the R1, who was running in a straight line to second base). Mr. Belle sent Mr. Vina into the middle of next week (he fully extended his arms in a blocking move). No interference was called...and correctly so. The umpires judged that Mr. Belle knocked Mr. Vina not in an attempt to dislodge the ball or prevent him from throwing onto first base (for a double play after having tagged Mr. Belle), but rather knocked him silly because he ran right in front of him AND he was no longer a "protected fielder" fielding a batted ball.
The Belle-Vina play was nothing more than a collision between a runner and a fielder attempting to tag him. No OBR umpire would call interference on that for the same reason they don't call interference on a collision between a runner and a catcher at home. If you watch Vina closely, he fielded the ball and then looked at and took steps toward Belle, clearly indicating an intent to tag him. But when he saw that Belle wasn't letting up, Vina went into self-preservation mode and didn't stick out his glove to make the actual tag.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker