View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 10, 2013, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Interesting discussion.

I, for one, feel that the OBR interpreters did not consider all situations where a runner runs into a fielder who has possession of the ball. In the cases discussed--primarily the tag play at home and the pivot play at second base--the fielder knows the runner is heading for him, and there's an expectation that he should adjust to make the play. So turning off that fielder's protection is an accepted interpretation.

In other cases where the fielder essentially has no idea that a runner is coming at him, the interpretations provide for an extension of his protection after he has fielded the batted ball. J/R's extension of that protection goes all the way to that fielder's follow through after the throw. So when do we create the gap between the time a fielder positions himself to field the batted ball (protection turns on) and then follows through after he throws it (protection turns off) where that protection is temporarily removed?

I think the MLBUM definition of play or attempted play takes care of that:

"A play or attempted play is interpreted as a legitimate effort by a defensive player who has possession of the ball to actually retire a runner. This may include an actual attempt to tag a runner, a fielder running toward a base with the ball in an attempt to force or tag a runner, or actually throwing to another defensive player in an attempt to retire a runner."

Okay, I admit that what's not mentioned here is "a fielder running toward a runner", but why would that be different than a fielder running toward a base? IMO, it isn't any different. CSFP would dictate that a fielder should maintain his protection through the entire process of making a play or attempted play.

I go back to the example I gave that, if memory serves, nobody addressed. Take this same play, but assume R2 knocks F6 down to the ground, allowing R3 to score. I can't imagine anyone saying that's perfectly acceptable.
Why would that be different? Because, what you have listed [(1) tag or attempted tag of a runner, (2) tag or tag attempted tag of a base (which in interpretations explicitly includes running toward a base in an attempt to beat a runner to that base) and (3) throw from one fielder to another fielder in an attempt to retire a runner] are expressly written as being "plays" in the various interpretation manuals. A "fielder running after a runner" is intentionally left off of this list. [The only other two "plays" are (4) balk and (5) appeals.] Basically, you are saying it could easily be added to this list, I am telling you that it is intentionally left off of the list of what constitutes a "play".

If the drafters of the various rule interpretations wanted "fielder running after a runner..." to be a "play" they would have expressly listed it; they did not in any OBR rule interpretation manual that I have ever seen. In fact, my class notes from umpire school (yes I've kept them for 16 years) specifically read that a fielder chasing after a runner is NOT a play. That is why it is treated differently.

To your play: it depends on what "knock down" means. Frankly, have you seen the play where Albert Belle knocked down Mr. Vina in the 1990's (youtube "Albert Belle collision" if you have not)? Mr. Vina (the F4), who had possession of the ball, ran (several steps) right in front of Albert Belle (the R1, who was running in a straight line to second base). Mr. Belle sent Mr. Vina into the middle of next week (he fully extended his arms in a blocking move). No interference was called...and correctly so. The umpires judged that Mr. Belle knocked Mr. Vina not in an attempt to dislodge the ball or prevent him from throwing onto first base (for a double play after having tagged Mr. Belle), but rather knocked him silly because he ran right in front of him AND he was no longer a "protected fielder" fielding a batted ball.

So, on your play, if R2 did not intentionally "knock down" F6 in an attempt to dislodge the ball or prevent him from making a play on R3, then I would have a really bad train wreck. (In youth baseball...you may have malicious contact...even though under pure OBR it would not be interference...if Albert Belle did what he did above in a youth game, you'd have interference.).

Last edited by lawump; Tue Sep 10, 2013 at 10:30am.