View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 10, 2013, 08:03am
Stirrer of the Pot

Interesting discussion.

I, for one, feel that the OBR interpreters did not consider all situations where a runner runs into a fielder who has possession of the ball. In the cases discussed--primarily the tag play at home and the pivot play at second base--the fielder knows the runner is heading for him, and there's an expectation that he should adjust to make the play. So turning off that fielder's protection is an accepted interpretation.

In other cases where the fielder essentially has no idea that a runner is coming at him, the interpretations provide for an extension of his protection after he has fielded the batted ball. J/R's extension of that protection goes all the way to that fielder's follow through after the throw. So when do we create the gap between the time a fielder positions himself to field the batted ball (protection turns on) and then follows through after he throws it (protection turns off) where that protection is temporarily removed?

I think the MLBUM definition of play or attempted play takes care of that:

"A play or attempted play is interpreted as a legitimate effort by a defensive player who has possession of the ball to actually retire a runner. This may include an actual attempt to tag a runner, a fielder running toward a base with the ball in an attempt to force or tag a runner, or actually throwing to another defensive player in an attempt to retire a runner."

Okay, I admit that what's not mentioned here is "a fielder running toward a runner", but why would that be different than a fielder running toward a base? IMO, it isn't any different. CSFP would dictate that a fielder should maintain his protection through the entire process of making a play or attempted play.

I go back to the example I gave that, if memory serves, nobody addressed. Take this same play, but assume R2 knocks F6 down to the ground, allowing R3 to score. I can't imagine anyone saying that's perfectly acceptable.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker