View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 09, 2013, 01:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The HL mirrors our stop the clock mechanic on a first down.

Our LJ makes 100% of the line-to-gain decisions. If he stops the clock on a play that ends inbounds, it's a first down OR the chains are coming out. My only signal as the R is the first down, ball spotted, wind clock. Or I bring the chains out. Even *I* don't mirror the stop the clock as the R -- it's completely unnecessary -- I've already looked to make sure the clock stopped.

I've seen crews work where every official seems to mirror everything. I think that's completely unnecessary. YMMV.

If the clock fails to stop on a play where the LJ is the covering official and the ECO doesn't see the signal, I'll put the time back on the clock. I can't remember the last time that happened. Most of the film we get back is from the press box -- and our LJ is very, very visible from that height.
On my crew we all signal with a stop clock motion if a first down is made and obvious. If we have a first and 10 and they gain 30 yards, we give the signal. Only the LJ makes the decision when it is close.

And as BJ I will signal stop clock when I know it should be, even if it is an out of bounds play as I have responsibility on the sideline for clean up. I would not say we mirror everything. If I do not see something, I do not make any signal.

And we also do not put time on the clock for something like a first down unless time is critical. But if it is 8:52 on the clock and during a first down with the clock would be running, we are not putting time on the clock if a couple of seconds ran off.

Peace