View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 09, 2013, 11:48am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I think it's agreed upon that they screwed this play up at least once by replaying 3rd down. Some are saying they screwed it up twice by calling the second foul and offsetting them.

My question - seems to me the Matthews hit was it's own late hit. The follow up was separated, and possibly even enough happened to warrant offsetting USC's AFTER the Matthews hit.

So ... would there be any justification (or justice) in calling the Matthews hit as USC, and additionally calling offsetting USC's during the scrum - and then penalizing only the Matthews hit (should have been 1st and goal then)?

What about at NCAA or NFHS levels?
NCAA -- proper enforcement is the same as the NFL. Count the down, cancel the yardage. I don't think we "find" another UNR/UNS here, unless it's...here.

NFHS -- this would be enforced in the order in which they happened. Half-the-distance on the DBPF (UNR) against Matthews, which I believe would've resulted in a first down on the field (no AFD for this PF in NFHS rules). Then move SF back 15 yards and set the chains 1st and 10.

I know, you're asking what if. too many variables in NFHS since all fouls are enforced in the order in which they occur.