View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 06, 2013, 04:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
To me, "working the wide side" just sounds like a mechanics system that hasn't adopted to current philosophy or practice. Reminds me of the crews whose wings still start on the numbers when the ball's on the far hash mark. I get that some states still ascribe to this. However, none of the top referees I know (I'm not including myself on this list) work anything other than the passer's arm side.

To each their own. I'll continue to work on the passing arm side where I feel I belong. And (back to the OP), the OP shouldn't let other people on the crew tell *him* where to work.
And to add to that, in our state we have a very bad action where one part of the state does one thing and another part does something differnet. And you have people in one part of the state that want to hold on to these "mechanics" that have proven that cause problems with coverage of the game. And it expemplifies itself when the State Finals come when you see officials working teams they are not used to, not being able to handle sytles of football they might not see. That does not mean everyone in certain parts of the state adopt those mechanics or philosophies, but enough of them do where is it noticable. In our state everyone from the 6 regions has a crew that works the State Finals and two other wild card crews are picked from those 6 regions. I think that is the thing IR is battling as no one in our area (but the person that he spoke to) would even suggest such a silly thing to do. But then there is a reason crews in our area also do not work certain games or for certain assignors. And this kind of insistence on some mechanic that brings more issues then it solves.

Peace