View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 06, 2013, 01:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
Maybe it's a regional thing. We have many plays each game where a RB or QB goes into the opposite sideline and the potential for misconduct is high. Certainly it's the wing's primary area. It's the responsibility of the BJ and the R to get over there to help police the OOB action.

Really, now -- how many times do you actually have to rule on a QB pass/fumble in a year? And of those, how many are so close that you can only get it right from the passing arm side? How many are in potential game-changing situations?

I prefer to have the field balanced.
Here is the thing, you do not have many plays to rule on a QB arm is throwing, but when you do that is a big play. That play usually is a turnover and changes the game. A play on the sideline is normal and does not change the game. And you do not need many officials over to cover such a play. As I said before, the BJ's role is to go to the sideline on plays and I know I go into the sideline when a RB or defender goes into the sideline. If the QB is moving to the sideline, the Referee follows them and watches them anyway so it is not like they are far behind.

And as stated, you have multiple officials that come over to the sideline when players go there, including a wing that is already there. You have not convinced me there is an extra benefit for being on the wide side unless you have an umpire and BJ that stays completely in the middle of the field as if their life depends on it. I think we have too many silly standards about things that do not help us officiate.

Peace