View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 06, 2013, 10:59am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I have worked 2 State Finals in the State of Illinois in football. I have had two different Referees that are IHSA Clinicians now and then. Both Referees always, ALWAYS went to the thrower's arm side of the players. The first State Final, that Referee is now an assignor and name is on the IHSA Mechanics PowerPoint with the Head Clinician. And that Referee (in our first state final as a crew) runs one of the best football camps in the state for HS during the summer and was the producer of the "2013 Crew of 5 Training" DVD with Bill LeMonnier, they only teach to be on the arm of the QB. I cannot even believe this is a debate on any level from any clinician in our state. If that QB is hit, you have no perspective on the motion of the arm. Also going to the sideline is one of the most overrated things when you have a BJ that is supposed to get to the sideline in most situations and even Umpires come over as support as well. I just do not get the thinking that you need to stay wide.

Peace
I'm with you. I help with cleanup if the play's to my side. If it's to the far side, the BJ gets in there. We've talked about this as a crew. I do not want to sacrifice the passer's arm side for anything, regardless of the number of officials.

I don't understand the comment above about the RB going OOB. I mean, we have wing officials, after all.