View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 28, 2013, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl1127 View Post
This is where good cross field communication comes into play. The two wings should have signals that let the other know is the player across is on or off the line. That way these issues do not arise. We were taught and still use the "punch back" if the wideout is off the line, if there are two off on my side, I am punching with two fingers extended to let my partner know.

As for the original post, no way a U or R should be making this call, they have no angle to see if someone is on the line, off the line, or in that no mans land. This is the wings responsibility.
I've worked with crews that punch back or signal on as well. Why. Why would the guy on the other side of me care if the guy closest to me is on or off ... all he should care about from my side is how many. All I care about on his side is how many. 3 + 3 or 4+2 is six, regardless of whether or not the guy closest to me is one of my 2 or 3 or 4.

On/Off works best when R is responsible (perhaps a 3 man crew) since R is counting backs and can't tell if your guy is on or off. But this is truly the weaker way to do it.

West Houston Mike