View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 27, 2013, 04:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Just Throwin' It Right Back At You ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I think officials worry too much about what someone else is doing as it relates to the "big time" comment. It is not the right thing to say and correcting that does not mean anything other then trying to confuse the masses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
A person in an elected or appointed role of supervisor or trainer might well choose to make this an association point of emphasis and be rightfully able to sway the masses. It is, after all, his responsibility to -- understand this correctly please -- "tell them how to officiate."
I know that every state, and local, officiating organization (association, board, etc.) does lots of things differently, thus the common phrase, "When in Rome ...", often appearing on the Forum. I get it.

But let me tell you a little about Connecticut, and my local board.

We're all IAABO here in Connecticut, and one of the most important goals of IAABO is "to educate, train, develop, and provide continuous instruction for basketball officials".

Here in my little corner of Connecticut, and I'm guessing all over Connecticut, we're always trying to improve officials, all officials, rookies, veterans, subvarsity, and varsity, based on the IAABO motto "One rule, one interpretation, one mechanic".

We are constantly trying to help each other to improve. A common phrase heard in locker rooms, stated between partners, or even between both subvarsity, and varsity officials, before, after, and during halftime, of our games is, "So, what did you see out there?", or "Any suggestions?". Yes, a few, especially the inexperienced officials, are timid, but most of us have no problem mentioning things that an official can use to improve their game, or to get in line with our local board's accepted, and expected, practices.

I would have absolutely no problem advising an official, inexperienced, experienced, varsity, or subvarsity, to rid his vocabulary of, "On the floor", and if I did, no one would ever accuse me of "big timing".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Aug 28, 2013 at 03:55pm.