View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 27, 2013, 09:31am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino View Post
In regular season, the protest procedure is per local league rules.
Actually, the regular season procedure you described is by LL rule 4.19. A protest report is to be filed by both the offended manager and the game UIC, and then the protest committee meets and resolves the issue.

I can't imagine a BOD member on duty at the game being given that responsibility. In my old local league, many of the BOD members knew very little about baseball (secretary, player agent, treasurer, concession stand manager, equipment manager, field maintenance manager, etc.) Asking them to resolve a protest would not take five to ten minutes. They would immediately try to call me (when I was league UIC) and chances are I'd be umpiring on another field. Then they would try to find the rule in the book and have no clue what the wording in the book actually meant, IF they found the rule in the first place. Finally they would just say Screw It and suck their thumb in the corner.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker