View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 26, 2013, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
From the MLBUM: "If, after a player has fielded a batted ball but before he is able to throw the ball, a runner hinders or impedes such fielder, the runner shall be called out for interference."

Seems to me that's what happened here. F6 fielded the ball, but before he was able to throw it (which he undoubtedly would), R2 ran into him. If R2 had knocked F6 to the ground, allowing R3 to easily score, how would you not consider that as interference?

Train wrecks happen when a thrown ball causes a fielder to get into the runner's path, and the fielder, runner, and ball all arrive at the same place simultaneously. They also happen when the catcher and batter-runner make contact on a ball in front of the plate. They do NOT happen when a fielder has long had possession of the ball and he's running to make a play. The fielder is under no obligation to tag a runner approaching him, so just because that didn't happen doesn't excuse R2 for running into him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehair View Post
I don't understand why some don't think F6 was making a play. He gloved a groundball, and had R3 trapped between 3B and HP. You do not throw to 3B, and you do not throw to HP. The smart baseball play is to run at R3. That is what he was doing...making a play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I would lean toward INT and return R3 to third.
I'm with all of these guys. F6 was in the process of making a play on R3. Whether that included a throw or not is immaterial to me. If he just fields the ball and stands there, that's one thing, but I don't feel that is what happened here. Sometimes you just have to umpire, and I feel like these guys got it right by calling INT.