View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 24, 2013, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Help me with this.
Play #1 seems more a matter of "act of shooting", i.e. whether or not the player began "the motion which habitually precedes the release of the ball" than a matter of "continuous motion."
Is it not correct that continuous motion is reserved for when a foul occurs which prohibits the release of the ball but the continuous motion the player whose act of shooting had begun must be considered so that the proper two FT's be awarded though the ball never got "in flight" due to the foul that occurred while in the act of shooting?
One reason I'm tending to think in this way is that Rule 10 PENALTIES, though specifying conditions where "act of shooting" determine whether one or two FT's are awarded, "continuous motion" is never mentioned as a consideration in any case.
I'm trying to keep "continuous motion" and "act of shooting" as each defined by Rule 4 seperate, though obviously related.
Seems to me that "continuous motion" is becoming sorta an umbrella term describing any foul committed while a player is in the "act of shooting", and I'm struggling with whether that is a good thing.
Any help for my understanding?
NFHS 4-11-1

Continuous motion applies to a try or tap for field goals and free throws, but it has no significance unless there is a foul by any defensive player during the interval which begins when the habitual throwing movement starts a try or with the touching on a tap and ends when the ball is clearly in flight.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)