View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 22, 2013, 09:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehat View Post
I agree JR, the force is not the issue by rule here but in every other situation like it force is the issue as it would be and in fact is a touchback...until the foul occurs...so just seems inconsistent to me as B did not put the ball in the EZ but they are being penalized as if they did...

In the case of the interception at the 2, all things the same, I think it would be more consistent with the fundamental defintion of force dictated by who puts it in the EZ (A in both cases) to bean bag the 2 and penalize from there half the distance to the 1, 1/10 for B
...just my opinion.
The penalty is not about the force or who put the ball in the EZ. The penalty is about that a penalty was caused by the team in possession of the ball in the EZ they are defending. You are complicating the issue by using force as the issue, when honestly it is not a factor in why this is a safety. It would be a TB if the ball was dead there, but not the reason you have a safety on the penalty. If you change the rule for this part, you would have an inconsistent application in the rules that would not apply to other parts of the game. I think the rule is perfectly fine at all levels.

Peace