View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 22, 2013, 04:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFANDUMP View Post
Still doesn't make any sense to me. If a punt travels 45 yards into the end zone and is returned, doesn't make it any different than a punt that travels 45 yards and is returned in the middle of the field. Same thing as a kickoff fielded one yard into the end zone being more dangerous to return than a ball fielded on the one yard line.
It does not have to make sense to you or me. I am just telling you what appears to be the reason this play ends when the ball gets into the EZ.

And really a punt going into the EZ is not much different from other levels, the play just continues a little while longer until the ball is downed. And the NF wants to kill the play and not let any unnecessary action take place. It is really a minor difference on scrimmage kicks. The free kick classification is just similar I am sure to not make one part of the kicking drastically different.

Also not many teams try to recover a punt inside the 10 yard line on a punt. On a punt as well teams are not running at each other for several yards without some resistance on a scrimmage kick. Heck, the NFL and NCAA moved their FK line to prevent more kick off returns. I do not see the NF changing this anytime soon.

Peace