View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 09:31am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

You gotta read this!

Just a quick note to mention that my old local board was progressive. Some officials that I officiated with were very progressive. Others were not.

As it turned out, I felt that I reffed more games with officials that were less progressive than they could have been, than I did with officials that were more progressive than the local masses.

Note that I'm *not* saying of which type there are more of - above average in progressiveness or below average in progressiveness - just that I had the time (being in my early 20s, not married, etc...) to talk forever about officiating!

Some weeks I think I spent more time at my friend Bruce's house, talking about officiating, than I did at home with my family. I can only imagine that my life will change when I'm lucky enough to wed and have children. You can learn alot of officiating from watching others and through discussions, but I also remember calling a false double foul (and yes, it was the absolute correct call) - there's a certain realization curve when making a call that you'd never thought about, and it doesn't get by you. (I was only a 2nd year ref then.)

Every officials' group has officials of varying capabilities. I guess I'm lucky that it affects me in a curious manner regarding learning about officiating.