View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 17, 2013, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Slow down to speed up

I really enjoy umpiring, it is great exercise and it keeps me sharp in the noggin. I have only umpired for eight years so I definitely have much more to learn.

I was working with a well respected old timers on a 3 man game rotation. At the end of our second game together he asked if he could give me some advice. He said while watching me that I appeared to move too quick and make calls to fast. He suggested that I still hustle but to take a bit longer to make my calls.

I made an effort to do this on my next game with him and it made a huge difference. I slowed my calls and it seemed to me that I was making much better calls that felt like I was making calls better and faster. As I slowed my pace to the bases it felt like I was getting in a better position faster. It sure seemed like the game was easier to call and much more comfortable to me. One coach after the game even came over and made a nice compliment on the calls, and there were several tough ones.

It is funny what you can pick up if you just try. I look forward to the next tournament.