View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 12, 2013, 08:33am
Stirrer of the Pot

Six-man crews for the LL post-season is nothing more than giving umpires the opportunity to work more games when they reach those levels. Unfortunately, they get so bored out there on the lines, that they feel compelled to make those exaggerated foul calls on balls that are in the next county.

I recall doing a LL State tournament years ago, and the tournament UIC from the host league received permission to use his local umpires as LFUs and RFUs, as a form of gratitude for their volunteerism during the regular season. I don't particularly believe those umpires are necessary on the small diamond in general, but if the tournament director sees the need, then, candidly, I think those positions should be filled by the umpires selected to work the tournaments, not local yokels who may not be worthy of working these games.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker