View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 09, 2013, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8on View Post
I apologize for my poor choice of wording. I am sorry if this is completely off, but I hope to better understand this. (I read your responses and am still a bit confused)

according to NCAA rules

Art. 2. A player who catches the ball (I'm assuming this means pick up the dribble) while moving or dribbling may stop and establish a pivot foot as follows:

Let's say you take your last dribble and the ball hits the floor at the same moment as you take a step. (you are still dribbling the ball as you take that step). As the ball rises up, both your feet will be momentarily airborne and are off the playing court THEN you pick up/end your dribble while airborne.

a. When both feet are off the playing court and the player lands:
1. Simultaneously on both feet, either may be the pivot foot;

I'm assuming this is a jump stop. Left footstep same time as right hand dribble, you pick up your dribble as you are in the air and land on both feet. Now either foot can be the pivot.

2. On one foot followed by the other, the first foot to touch shall be the pivot foot;

I'm assuming this would be a spin move, or "windmill crossover" described. Left foostep/right hand dribble, you pick up the dribble as both feet are momentarily airborne and you step with your right foot (established pivot foot) then jump off your left foot and shoot.

3. On one foot, the player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both; neither foot can be the pivot foot.

Now apply the same situation as before with same last dribble/last step. Left foostep/right hand dribble, you pick up the dribble as both feet are momentarily airborne and land on one foot. Then you jump again and land on both feet. Would this be legal?
These are the rules that describe the two types of "jump stops." You can't use them with regards to other situations where stepping with the pivot foot results in traveling.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Sat Aug 10, 2013 at 08:24pm.