View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 03, 2013, 11:35am
Esteemed Forum Member

What Does Don't Move Really Mean ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
And you think a player is really confused as to how they can or cannot move?
Players will often ask the administering official, but that question is usually in reference to whether, or not, they can run the endline, and I know that that's not what JRutledge is talking about.

Almost all players will either stand in their little shoulder width area, or run the endline, depending on the type of throwin. I'm pretty sure that most, but probably not all, know that they don't have to maintain a "pivot foot". I only see one, or two, inbounding excessive movement violations each season, but I also rarely see players under defensive pressure take full advantage of the liberal movement rule on a designated spot throwin. I really don't think that a large number of players actually know that the movement limits on a "spot" thrownin are actually more liberal than they believe.

Now, coaches are another story, and my main concern for avoiding, "Don't move". I know at least one, the one that I had to sit down, who thought that, "Don't move", that he probably heard from other officials on my local board (or maybe from JRutledge), either as a coach, or as a player, a few years ago, really meant "Don't move".

And lets' not forget about the occasional, incorrect, inbounding "travel" call, either from an ignorant official, or expected from an ignorant coach, or a fan. Maybe we've never observed it in person, but it's not a myth, it does exist, not often, but it really exists, like Sasquatch. Wait? I'm being told ... What?. Never mind.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Aug 03, 2013 at 12:15pm.