View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 30, 2013, 10:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The recent thread on rules regarding the jump ball to start the game has given me an idea for an article for our local board's newsletter. The working title is, "Things Officials Should Probably Not Be Saying In A Game".

I want concentrate on things that officials often, or sometimes, say during a game that do not have any basis in the rules.

Examples may include:

"Everybody get behind the division line" (during a free throw for a technical, or intentional, foul).
"Don't move" (before a designated spot throwin).
"Hold your spots" (before the jump ball to start the game, or an overtime).
"You have to take out your earrings" (instead of "You can't play with earrings").
"Let it hit the rim" (before a free throw).
"You can't stand behind him" (before a the jump ball to start the game, or an overtime, to a player who is directly behind an opponent, who are both ten feet off the circle).
"Sit down" (to a coach who has not been charged with a technical foul).

I really don't want to get into a debate regarding whether, or not, we should be saying things like this in a game for the purpose of preventative officiating, I just want those officials who are saying things like this to know that there is no basis in the rules for these statements, with a short explanation of why these statements are incorrect.

Anything to add to the list?
I disagree with you that these have no rules basis or that they cannot be used. We are not giving rules clinics. We have every right to convey a message even if that message is somewhat incomplete. It is the player's and coach's job to know the rules we are talking to them about. If they do not understand the nuance, shame on them.

Peace