View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 25, 2013, 03:12pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
It seems the most important parts of this topic are:

There's no way in hell I'd stick around for 9 games and only get paid for 6 of them.

I'm there for the money, nothing more.

I'm arrogant enough
followed by
Mentally, I was tired at the end of the day. It's hard to focus for that long.

Not so much the "whoring" himself out part

I don't even work softball

top-notch college/HS baseball umpires don't touch that crap around here
Whatever. If expecting to be compensated fairly for my time is arrogant, so be it. If trying to give an accurate background for a story is arrogant, so be it. A lot of weekend warriors don't care about being good on the field. They have 10 year old uniforms, have never been to a clinic, have never picked up a rule book, and are warm bodies who are happy to be there under whatever terms the assignor dictates.

And who do you think asked me to do all seven? It's not like I said, "I'll only do it if I can work all seven." No, that's the assignor asking that. I'd rather do 4 and go home -- 2 plates and 2 bases and I have half a day left for whatever.

It amazes me how much crap people are willing to take to work games. If you think it's OK to sit around for 90-120 minutes and not get paid for your time, then have at it.

I'd rather look at it from my point of view -- I'm providing a service -- if the assignor has a ton of guys willing to work on his terms, then I guess I'll stay home and they can work. Otherwise, I'm going to work while I'm there and not sit around doing nothing. And I get to negotiate some of the terms.