Thread: U3 Button-Hook
View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 20, 2013, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

I have never been, seen, heard or taken part in teaching anyone to go a spot. I don't see it anywhere in the ASA or ISF manual. Parameters, yes; Specific spot, no.

However, recently ASA have had NUS members lock on the DVD and like the mechanics at the schools and clinics, the DVDs were meant to be an aid, not the bible. Those folks are not helpful to anyone, the umpire or the UIC who has to work with that umpire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post

An example of an unnecessary button-hook (leaving alone rimming with no runners on base) is on fly balls to the outfield. Umpires drop their head, run inside and prepare to take the runner to the next base if the runner tags up.
Again, don't know where you get this as I have never heard the suggestion of an umpire not watching the ball. Just because he is coming inside doesn't mean their head cannot turn to watch the ball.

Quote:
Here's the question I ask the umpires when I think they came inside needlessly: "What are the elements you are looking for on a tag-up situation?" The answer is always, "The runner." When I ask them, "What else?" they almost always say, "The base." Rarely does the umpire say, "The ball." Now, the umpire was always able to see the runner. The umpire was always able to see the base. The umpire could have seen the ball by opening up. What these overly-button-hooking umpires don't often see is the ball. How can you rule on a tag-up appeal if you don't see the ball? If you can't button-hook inside the diamond in time to see the ball as it arrives near the outfield, don't come inside. Just open up, face the ball and glance at the runners.
IMO, staying outside provides the umpire with no better a look, just a bit less demanding. Then again, an umpire inside is in a better position to move to any number of position to make a call at any base necessary. AFA a tag up, yeah, I'm watching the ball and like being outside opening up to glance at the runner on the contact.

If the ball is on the ground, I don't care where the ball is until a fielder retrieves and returns it to the infield. That leaves me free to stay with the runners and defenders in the area with minimal effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagpal View Post
Manny, a WCWS extols the virtue of ball status and is ASA. I'll let you guess which one or maybe all of them. Button hooking requires you purposefully lose ball status only to regain it again prior to repositioning.
No it doesn't.

Quote:
If you (U3) are rotated and U1 chases caught, you are already at 2b. Watch tagup and wait for runner to come to you, be ahead of the runner. If dropped, stay at 2b for throw into 2b, or take several steps towards 1b ending up in the rotated B position outside to call a close one at 1b. The placement of the fly will likely hint at where the throw will go. PRR, pause, read and react.
How does that solve Manny's original concern involving the runner approaching 3B?

Quote:
If you (U1) don't chase, take a couple of steps foul or simply open up to watch tagup at 1st.or dropped ball and the ensuing scramble. Your angle will be fine in foul to see it all. Be aware of first base coach.

If U3 chases, unless you (U1) will end up right in a throwing lane for a play at 2b, watch tag while opened up, then parallel runner into 2b while rimming outside. If you feel you will be squeezed, you can always default to pivoting inside (button hooking) since you already know how, but you will need to know ball status and prepitch your secondary calling position at 2b to determine you going inside.

PU comes inside the diamond and has a good look at the throwback to help at 1b if there is one since he will likely be trailing BR anyways if its close.
And who is covering the plate for the runner scoring from 2B? If there is a ball to the OF, the PU stays home.
Quote:

This is all PPP, pre pitch planning. Thinking umpires. No longer are we told X marks the spot where you must go.
And if you ever received proper training, there never was. But then again, you are not interested in anything that doesn't fit your agenda.

Quote:
You working 3-man which NCAA dominates. Be ahead of the runners if possible, let them come to you, and stay outa the way by button hooking as little as possible, unless you must when working ASA.

Consider that when working outside, you have far less worry about crossing running lanes to make you uncomfortable like you felt, and can concentrate more on throwing lanes, and all the while maintaining ball status to help you make those decisions.
If doing it right, and I assume we are talking about umpires who supposedly know what they are doing, an umpire should never worry about crossing a runner's path. If you do, you need to either put in a little more hustle in your giddy-up or just wait for the runner to pass and step in behind. It is not that big a deal.

And if you are inside, there is no additional concern about "throwing lanes", yet still have the ball, base, runners & defenders in front of you, and can adjust position and angles for any unanticipated plays with minimal effort.