View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 20, 2013, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

State or association policy ?

Ok, what is your groups policy when the following happens.

2 umpires are scheduled, but only one shows up to work the game.The game is worked under a 1 umpire system.

I know the MHSAA has a written policy that states officials who work a contest with less the number of contracted officials shall recieve the pay that official would have gotten. This basically means a 2 person crewed work by one official should get equal to both checks. 3 umpires contracted, 2 work means they split the check.

Several schools have developed their own policy however which pays 50% or less of the agreed pay. I have not seen this challenged with the MHSAA yet.

I do know the MHSAA has not backed me when I should have gotten two checks because I worked alone when 2 umpires were scheduled. Why? The school never responded to the MHSAA's request for comment.

The Rec LEague I work pays 50% of the fee if you work alone when 2 are scheduled. We also get fined if we are late, 25% of the fee the first time late, 50% second time, 100% the third time, and possibly loss of contracted games. You also lose the portion of the game fee as well.

If you miss a scheduled game you are fined 100%, plus loss of the fee (first offence), 2 game fees (plus loss of fee for game (s) missed) for a second offence, and 3 times fee, plus loss game fee (third offence).

Basically we miss a night of games, we work the next night free.