Thread: Help Needed
View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 19, 2013, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Help Needed

This happened today while working a 14U Babe Ruth Tourn.

I've been working 20yrs and have never seen this:

I'll start off the definition of a Base:

A BASE is one of four points which must be touched by a runner in order to score a run...

So according to this definition, Home Plate is a Base.

Before I go in the scenario - I am referring rule 7.08 (i) in the Babe Ruth rule book:
If a runner touches an unoccupied base and then thinks the ball was caught or is decoyed into returning to the base last touched, she may be put out running back to that base, but if she reaches safely she cannot be put out while in contact with that base.

Here is what took place, a runner at 3rd decides to steal home while the pitcher had her backed turned to home plate – runner reaches home safe without a throw. Here is where it gets good, for some reason the runner decided to return to 3rd base. She re-touched home plate and actually made it safely back to 3rd.
After making back safely, her coach instructs her to go into the dugout, so she leaves the base and enters the dugout.

My question – does rule 7.08 (i) apply in this case? Does touching all (4) bases satisfy completion of running all bases? Or would the runner be ruled out for leaving the playing field?

Our ruling ended up being, safe & run counts. Still not sure if that is the correct call.

Rule 7.08(i) also refers to running the bases in reverse order to confuse or make a travesty of the game - I do not feel this was the case, but I can see how this rule could have also come into play.

Thanks.