Thread: Partner support
View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 17, 2013, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
Really? What if a player has had an ongoing dialog with someone on the other team. It is a tight game in crunch time...that player gets fouled fairly hard but clean (doesn't merit intentional). Standing right next to you he says so softly that you barely understand it about the other player "F'ing jerk". Are you going to whack him or just say something along the lines of "I know you're frustrated but I heard that. If someone else in the gym hears you say something like that you will leave me no option."

I have chosen the later before and the player in question settled down, composed himself and we finished with no further language or incident. Until now, he and I were the only two that knew about the exchange. I did point out to my partner that those two were heating up again and we needed to watch them.
You had a player use the f-word about an opposing player in a high school game and you didn't penalize him? I'd say that was the wrong choice.
You should read the NFHS mission statement in the front of the rules book. Don't forget what we are trying to teach in this country through high school sports.