View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 16, 2013, 01:42pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post

My annoyance is ...snip ... the change for change sake stuff that just costs money for no good reason

My annoyance is ...snip ... the change for change sake stuff that just costs money for no good reason

The latest is USSSA's 4th shirt vendor in 5 years and caps only 2 years old being obsolete.
Get ready. There are new NFHS-logoed umpire shirts for next year. And our state changed the logo that goes on the shirt, as well as came out with a newly-logoed hat (we wore plain hats before). So the state patches I have at home to iron on new shirts are obsolete now.

ASA has also come out with newly logoed hats and shirts.

There should be a wear-out period for old stuff in these organizations. When I was in the military, new uniform requirements would come out on occasion. We could continue to wear the old uniforms for 3-5 years to ease the burden of purchasing the new items, and to not screw the troops who just bought the old items without realizing new ones were coming out.

Amateur sports organizations should do the same thing. Don't screw umpires who just bought shirts and hats by making them have to wear the new stuff immediately. Allow a phase-out period so that it's acceptable to have crews with a mix of the old and new for a few seasons.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker