View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 16, 2013, 02:45am
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Let's take a look. 30 campers at $580 a pop. ($17,400)
Say each campers works 5 games, that's 150 slots (50 games) * $25 paid by the tournament director ($3750).

Say supervisor pays 10 observers $750 to show up ($7500).
Estimate 2 nights of lodging for camp staff ($3000).
Estimate food costs for pizza and beers ($1000)

That's $21,150 coming in and $11,500 going out. For a net profit of $9,650.

That's for a small camp. I've worked camps that charged $450 for 75 campers who've covered about 100 games. Do the math on that.
The number of campers are probably closers to 50-60 unless attendance is way down since 2-3 years ago.

Not sure about number of games—it varies from tournament to tournament. The more campers, the better—because the games will be worked regardless of the number of officials on hand!

Pay for the observers seems high—but I am not sure.

Also, I would bet that they get at least some of the rooms free from the hotel for having the officials book there.

They are definitely money makers, but that doesn't mean that they are not also worthwhile. They provide a lot of value and certainly provide the only opportunity at present to get hired into D1 leagues.

I agree that the current system is not the best, but it will take one conference taking the lead and making big changes before anyone else does. Plus, the other conferences would have to see some advantage of making the change.

I could see some of the consortiums hiring officials as employees and limiting those officials to only working their games, limiting the number of games per week, etc. Much different ballgame with employees vs contractors, so I'm not sure that will happen anytime soon—but if it does, I would bet it would be in one of the consortiums with 3+ conferences, rather than a single conference.