View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 15, 2013, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
During the political dust-up that has gone on here the last several years between the state ASA commissioner and those opposed to him, there was "policing" of (or an attempt to police) umpires wearing ASA-logoed gear at the "opponents" tournaments by the state ASA commissioner's office. There were no threats of trademark lawsuits (AFAIK), but there were letters sent to umpires and such.

I never understood the rationale behind this, however.

Getting your brand out there is fundamental to promotion. Why would the ASA itself be opposed to having the competition have to visibly use ASA umpires? It seems to me it would indicate the opponent organization is lacking to the point they have to look to the ASA to provide officials. Why is this bad for ASA?
Why would a Ford commercial run footage showing a Chevy win a race at Daytona? Do you think Anheuser-Busch wouldn't take action if Sam Adams ran a spot showing a Clydesdale-drawn wagon loaded with Sam Adam's product entering Fenway Park?

Though lawsuits should be the last resort, if you are working ABC you should wear ABC's uniform. If XYZ did not want their brand associated with a competitor, they have every right to demand their trademarked logo is not included in any events other than those in which they choose to do so.

I didn't have a problem telling umpires working a PONY tournament to find another hat, shirt or ball bag that did not have ASA on it. I would not do it publicly or at the event I was observing, but afterwards at a local meeting or if I saw them.

It is a reasonable demand of any organization that values their brand.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Mon Jul 15, 2013 at 05:39pm.