Thread: Punt question
View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 15, 2013, 02:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
Unless I missed something, grounder, the rule does NOT address this very specific, very hypothetical sample play. My opinion is based on my interpretation of the intent of the rule, you are referring to, as well as my understanding of the intent and purpose of this rule, which I've previously stated. As I tried to suggest, there are a series of "if's" included in the assessment I suggested that apply, to this particular and unique play.
Every rule is not going to cover every single situation or scenario. There is no situation that even suggests in any interpretation what you are saying. You are taking it further than even the rules or interpretation allows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
Mr. Rutledge, I specified "the Referee" in my reference to NF 1-1-6 because that's exactly what "the rule" states. I would expect any Referee I was working with to accept my judgment unless, and until, he has sound and persuasive reason to convince me my judgment was in err. However, as the rule specifically states "the Referee" I would consider it my responsibility to explain, and if necessary persuade, the Referee to concur with my judgment.
You are still taking about a rules dispute where on the field this would not apply to that rule. A Referee would rarely if ever be judging any first touching or any of these kinds of plays. So not sure where the Referee is going to be making any decision as it relates to this rule. The wings, back judge and even the umpire have potential much more to be involved then a Referee that is furthest from the play. I do not know how the Referee is even going to be able to give any information related to this play and say if or when a ball is touched, let alone if it is forced touching or not. The Referee cannot also overrule anyone's judgment. That rule is to cover a situation that is brought to their attention and likely needs administrative action. Like what is player might be allowed to wear or what might take place to start a contest with an interruptions. Rules do not cover all possible scenarios in those areas, that is likely where this rule will come into play, not some situation in which you are trying to define something that is already defined.

Peace