Thread: Punt question
View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 15, 2013, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grounder View Post
this isnt an opinion..its the rule
Unless I missed something, grounder, the rule does NOT address this very specific, very hypothetical sample play. My opinion is based on my interpretation of the intent of the rule, you are referring to, as well as my understanding of the intent and purpose of this rule, which I've previously stated. As I tried to suggest, there are a series of "if's" included in the assessment I suggested that apply, to this particular and unique play.

If you don't agree with my assessment, that's fine. As always you should follow your own thoughtful assessment based on what you've actually seen and what you understand is the intent and/or purpose of the rule. You might keep in mind, that an overarching function of our role is when very specific corcumstances are NOT covered by the wording of a rule, our objective as stated in 1-1-6 is to, "rule promptly , and in the spirit of good sportsmanship" to avoid either team gaining, or suffering, from an unearned advantage.

Mr. Rutledge, I specified "the Referee" in my reference to NF 1-1-6 because that's exactly what "the rule" states. I would expect any Referee I was working with to accept my judgment unless, and until, he has sound and persuasive reason to convince me my judgment was in err. However, as the rule specifically states "the Referee" I would consider it my responsibility to explain, and if necessary persuade, the Referee to concur with my judgment.