Thread: Can I be sued?
View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 12, 2013, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

It would depend upon what rules the facility has in place to govern these 5th and 6th grade contests. Of course, you need to act in your best interest and reasonably account for player safety. Basically, you wish to avoid the standard of being negligent in legal terms.

All of that said, I would not allow the youngster to participate. They can find another official, if the league/facility insists otherwise. Why? I would not put myself at risk and the NFHS rules book states the following:
RULE 3, SECTION 5 TEAM MEMBER’S EQUIPMENT, APPAREL
ART. 1 . . . The referee shall not permit any team member to wear equipment or apparel which, in his/her judgment, is dangerous or confusing to other players or is not appropriate.
NOTE: Each state association may, in keeping with applicable laws, authorize exceptions to NFHS playing rules to provide reasonable accommodations to individual participants with disabilities and/or special needs, as well as those individuals with unique and extenuating circumstances. The accommodations should not fundamentally alter the sport, allow an otherwise illegal piece of equipment, create risk to the athlete/others or place opponents at a disadvantage.
ART. 2 . . . Guards, casts and braces must meet the following guidelines:
a. A guard, cast or brace made of a hard and unyielding substance, such as, but not limited to, leather, plaster, plastic or metal shall not be worn on the elbow, hand, finger/thumb, wrist or forearm; even though covered with soft
padding."