View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 03, 2013, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
If the pitcher doesn't stop or hesitate his delivery, all you have is a pitch - none of these rules come into play. The very first sentence of the rule you keep quoting says, "If the pitcher stops or hesitates..."

The OP did not mention the pitcher stopping or hesitating at all... you're assuming the OP omitted something and then applying a rule where it doesn't belong.
Once again, I was relayed this situation so I am assuming the pitcher did not hesitate or stop and gave my opinion to that official.

I understand where people are coming from with this discussion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6-2-4d-1
"If the pitcher, with a runner on base, stops or hesitates in his delivery because the batter steps out of the box (a) with one foot or (b) with both feet or (c) holds up his hand to request "Time," it shall not be a balk. In (a) and (c), there is no penalty on either the batter or the pitcher. The umpire shall call "Time" and begin play anew. In (b), a strike shall be called on the batter for violation of 7-3-1. In (a), (b) and (c), if the pitcher legally delivers the ball, it shall be called a strike and the ball remains live. Thus, two strikes are called on the batter in (b). If the umpire judges the batter's action to be a deliberate attempt to create a balk, he will penalize according to 3-3-1o."
My only issue is that if the "If the pitcher, with a runner on base, stops or hesitates in his delivery" he cannot possibly "legally delivers the ball", correct? As currently written, this rule is poorly worded.

Therefore, I read this as almost two separate clauses (Note I took liberty and changed the wording. The following is NOT the current rule).

One clause:
"If the pitcher, with a runner on base, stops or hesitates in his delivery because the batter steps out of the box (a) with one foot or (b) with both feet or (c) holds up his hand to request "Time," it shall not be a balk. In (a) and (c), there is no penalty on either the batter or the pitcher. The umpire shall call "Time" and begin play anew. In (b), a strike shall be called on the batter for violation of 7-3-1."
Two clause:
If the pitcher, with a runner on base, legally delivers the ball despite the batter stepping out of the box (a) with one foot or (b) with both feet or (c) holds up his hand to request "Time," it shall be called a strike and the ball remains live. Thus, two strikes are called on the batter in (b). If the umpire judges the batter's action to be a deliberate attempt to create a balk, he will penalize according to 3-3-1o."
As currently written, I don't see how the first part can coincident with the second part and make sense.

-Josh