View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 29, 2013, 08:55am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
The point of the memo (if you read it completely) was to let players away from the ball know when to stop. Voice-only might work when it's a long run or one-on-one pass (typical BJ coverage plays), but on plays in congested areas we really need the whistle.

I worked two HS games just this past season where the noise level was so high I could barely hear whistles on the field from a few yards away. I shudder to think what might have happened if I had some "no-blows" on my crew.
Actually you do not need a whistle the most during a short run or play that ends closer to the LOS. Those are the plays everyone kind of realizes the play is over. And your contention that the crowd is loud also do not make since when the crowd is apart of the noise that tells players the play is over. The long runs to plays on the outside are when there could be a lot of issues of players not stopping. But a 2 yard dive is usually rather obvious when the play is over and I have seen end with no one blowing a whistle and the players stopping.

Again I am not advocating not blowing the whistle. I just see why officials do not see them sometimes and I think it is a bad practice to echo a whistle on a play you do not see end yourself. When you do see it, then blow the darn whistle. It is really that simple to me. I have never known anyone to advocate not to ever blow a whistle on purpose unless you are clearly not in the play.

Peace