View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 29, 2013, 01:29am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Instruction is great. And many associations host classes for beginners where they can receive some of that instruction. However, I think you missed my main point: a clinician having to teach a newbie is going to do so at the expense of the other campers on that court. I think all campers should be observed and instructed equally and when you have a total new guy they are going to get the majority of both. There is a place for new officials -- beginner officials class.
Well I am a registered clinician with my state. Meaning that I am trained to teach officials at all levels and the clinicians are the only ones authorized to run camps for camp clinic (basically oversee the camps as well as teach individuals). There is nothing I cannot teach (and others in my similar position) that cannot teach a newer official with a veteran around. Actually when we have camps even with 3 person, we tend to have guys that have little experience in 3 person to guys with a lot of experience in 3 person. It is not anything special as you seem to suggest or unusual. And when you have guys that have almost never worked 3 person and not being able to rotate or know when to switch. Trust me is is not the newbies we often have to worry about.

Also not all of use learn the same way. I have been working 3 person every year I have been an official. I used camps to fill in the blanks with things that I did already knew. Many have done the same if they watch veterans work, stay for varsity games, go to watch when not working or have a mentor show them the ropes. Others have a difficult time picking up simple things. Either way none of this is going to ruin most people if they use every opportunity as a learning experience.

Peace