View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 24, 2013, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnalex View Post
In my specific situation, we're using ISF. Some more reading up leads me to 10.8.f

" In case of injury, except in the umpires' judgement with a serious injury..."TIME" shall not be called until all plays in progress have been completed, or runners have been held at their base."
EFFECT: " In the case of injury, when time is called, the ball is dead and runners may be awarded a base or bases that they would have made, in the umpires' judgement, had the injury not occurred."

Using my original situation, there's a bit of debate that can follow. Had the coach been studying elsewhere in the box, she would not have been hit, and no injury would have occurred, therefore ball would have been dead and runners would have received the bases anyway. This clashes directly with the ruling on a thrown ball hitting a coach.

I think, looking back now,I got it right. Stopping play due to injury is a subjective call of the blue, and in my opinion, the coach appeared to be not seriously injured, but enough to cause her to go down... I've the added bonus of knowing these players for years inside and outside the game, she's a hearty tough girl and wouldn't fake it.
When I'm referring to the rule, that is all that I am doing, referring to the rule that only mentions players, not game participants like the HS rules in the US do.

Obviously, every bit of this is subjective and open to an umpire's judgment and I do understand the concern and have no problem with how you handled the play.

But remember, we are talking a "serious injury". What is serious to you, may not be serious to me. A twisted ankle can cause loud screams and big tears and panicky parents and coaches to run onto the field, but is not serious enough to stop the play.

Again, this has only been a rule in recent years and I wonder why? What happened in the previous 7 decades that lead to rules based on knee-jerk reactions?

How many of us grew up not wearing helmets when skiing (rec) or riding a bicycle or a horse? Anyone here ever play tackle football without gear? Since we are discussing our friends in Europe, are the similar rules for rugby, soccer, hurling, etc. that stop a team moving to score when a player goes down?

Serious question. I wonder if anyone has any numbers supporting the affect this rule has on injured individuals.