View Single Post
Old Sun Jun 23, 2013, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
Really,

I am not familiar with ISF rules, which I think the OP was using HOWEVER I can find that NFHS does cover this.

Rule 5-2-d NOTE and 10-2-3g. Given the term participant, as used in 5-2-d NOTE is not given, rule 10-2-3g can be applied in the event the umpire feels that continuation of play could result in further injury to the coach, who, I would consider a participant in the game.

In the ASA rules the situation would be a little rougher. Rule Supplement #29 only covers a player, as does 4-9. With that said, the spirit of rule 4-10 is that when someone on the field becomes injured seriously the game shall be stopped and the umpire will award bases that in the umpires judgement they would have reached had play not been stopped.

If you really want to argue that a coach should not be covered under the same rules that's fine, but this goes with the discussion earlier of common sense and logic in the rules. This is a case where logic should prevail and if an umpire feels a first base coach or third base coach is injured to the point of needing medical attention, the game should be stopped and then you deal with the awarding of bases after. The #1 priority is the safety of all involved.
ISF & ASA are basically the same, covers players. And I'm not watching coaches, I'm watching the play.

Before the rule changed, I wonder how many people died or suffered life-altering injuries because someone did not get attention 10-20 seconds earlier.

I now expect a multitude of "examples" or suppositions, but I doubt there will be much to support as fact.