Thread: Balk Warning
View Single Post
Old Sun Jun 01, 2003, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by IHSAIllini
Something I've always been dying to ask other umpires about. I don't know how many of you use house rules that include a balk warning component, but I'll fill you in as best I can. For the Bronco and Pony kids (11-12 and 13-14) there are balk warnings. For the 11-12s it's a warning per pitcher, for 13-14s it's a warning per team. Now, of course you can't call balks without a runner on base. Or, I've been led to believe this without actually looking up the section in the FED rulebook...but if I'm wrong someone correct me right away.

(Oh great, IHSA is gonna love this, I just passed my Part 1 rules test and I'm already making them look bad for patching me...heh).

So I guess my question is, even though you can't call balks without runners on base, presuming I'm right of course, how would you feel about wasting the warnings without runners? My rationale is that because it's house ball, the purpose is to teach the kids, and it's easier for them to make the adjustment before they're under pressure with runners on base.

What does everyone think?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
lets get something clarified first.. A Balk is an illegal action by the F1 to decieve a runner. NO runners, NO BALK!!!! PONY BB uses OBR, toss the FED book. F1 is in wind-up OR set,fails to deliver...let it go.PLEASE read the shaded parts