Thread: Summer Ball
View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 20, 2013, 01:40pm
beware big brother

Worked some crap-ass HS shootout this past weekend because it was assigned by one of the college assignors I work for and he expects you to work at least one day at one of the many HS shootouts he assigns every summer. One of the schools has a new coach. He is a young guy and this is his first head coaching experience at varsity level so he is a little wound up and kind of excitable. He is questioning lots of calls and acting like this is the state playoffs rather than the glorified practice that it is. They are getting drilled by 30 late in the second half when a player from the other team comes flying out of nowhere for an amazing two hand follow up dunk on a missed shot. I was trail and it was probably basket interference, but taking into account it is summer, games dont mean anything, score at the time, and just the plain awesome nature of the play, I decide not to wave the basket off. The coach starts jumping up and down complaining about goaltending. So I go over there and tell him relax it is a summer league game there isnt any reason to get all worked up. He says it was GT, I tell him the ball was out of the cylinder. He wants to keep arguing and eventually says it is my opinion the ball is out of the cylinder. Finally, ive had enough so I respond to him that if he wanted his opinion to matter, he should have become a referee instead of a coach. I think it stunned him into silence. The only good thing about these worthless summer games is the level of professionalism expected from us is so much lower than the regular season we can actually respond to these idiot coaches in ways that we never can when the games matter.