View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 18, 2013, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I believe I've only seen it once, and it was more dramatic. I was observing, and they got it right in my opinion, and managed not to eject anyone, as the scored run tied the game in a semi-final, and they had BOTH coaches out there (PU arguing with DC, BU arguing with OC on the play at 2nd base)

R2 and F6 both watching the 2-out hit into right field and collide dramatically, both going down and staying down. R1 scores easily. BR thrown out at 2nd (no hesitation on her part - just thrown out on a close play). PU ruled (properly imho) that R2 would have scored. Which makes sense after the fact considering R2 had a lead, and BR did not ... and the play ended up very close.
That is a really tough call to make, and one that takes some to make. So many factors come into play on a situation like that. The speed of the runners is just one situation to consider. I would say that unless the runner was really slow and lumbering she likely would have scored.

It's funny to see both coaches out on the field arguing calls on the same play. I've only seen that once, and it was because I kicked a call initially IMO, which set off a strange set of circumstance. In a 1 umpire system you just have to have the coaches wait in line to argue I guess.