View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 18, 2013, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUchem View Post
Situation:

ASA 14U girls' fastpitch

2 outs. R3 on 2B. B4 hits a hard shot to left center. R3 is obstructed by F6, who was playing in the baseline. I have R3 protected to home, as she would have scored easily on the hit without the obstruction. B4, as 14 yr old girls do, hesitates before trying to stretch hit into a double. B4 is tagged out at 2B.

Now, in our situation, the runner DID cross the plate ahead of the tag out at 2B, but just barely due to the obstruction.

Question: Since R3's award would be home, would the award still allow the run to score if the runner had not crossed home before the 3rd out was made due to the obstruction? Basically I am asking if the award supersedes the timing play. Is the runner allowed to finish her "baserunning duties" after the 3rd out?

My other thought was that the "subsequent play" might have come into effect, thus nullifying the obstruction, but the runner had not reached the bag to which she was protected.

Thanks all!
Not that it would be commonplace for it to be an issue, but you would score the run if you judged the OBS runner would have scored prior to the put out on the bases absent the OBS.

I don't think that would happen often, if ever, but I guess it would be possible so to avoid the TWP argument, that is probably how it should be presented in an explanation.