View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 14, 2013, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankmjg24 View Post
I should clarify that up until him stating the pitch was good and I needed to give it to them, I do not feel as if he was questioning the zone, but asking to find out where the pitch missed.
You may feel that way. But if he turned around to talk to you (and he's not 10 years old), he is most definitely questioning your zone.

Good catcher-umpire communication will include some questions from the catcher. If you can't answer that question in 3-4 words, you're talking too much. 99% of the time, one word suffices. You also need to shorten your warning. "OK, that's enough" will be enough for most catchers. Don't put such a point on the threat. And honestly, your partner's "warning" was too long as well.

Quote:
I am not much into giving inside off the plate. Outside I will give a little as the ball is hittable.
You know it's crucial to be consistent in your own calls... but it's also important to be consistent with everyone else's. That pitch just off the inside corner, not over chalk, is a strike in most of your other umpire's minds - pitchers are used to it... catchers are used to it ... and before you start saying it's not fair to batters to call that pitch a strike ... batters are used to it too. Call it. Your game will go easier.

West Houston Mike